Last week I was at an unfortunate event that is a funeral, mostly attended by South Americans, when the preacher giving the eulogy mentions that the young person that died donated his organs and gave life to 5 people…a sudden gasp and wow’s surrounded the room, nobody could believe it!
I said WOW but for a different reason…I couldn’t believe that in this day and age there are still some humans that will not consider giving life after death. It’s not a matter of living in the 1st world (as I heard some South Americans say) or having the most advance science (I have heard them complain again and again that doctors are better in Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, etc), it’s a matter of being a better human being that most people, and figuring out how can we educate our children to pay it forward.
I’ll give you 6 important facts for you to think about, please consider organ donation:
- People from all ages and medical conditions could be donors, your medical condition at the time of death will determine which organ or tissue could be donated
- There is NO cost to the donor or the family left behind
- Donors can add wishes in their Driver’s license or other documentation but please let your family member know as well
- Privacy is maintained for both donor families and recipients, unless otherwise requested
- Organ donation can only be considered after brain death has been declared by a physician, never before
- Most importantly you are giving life, a second chance to a person who I am sure will be forever grateful
Every new day that I spend in this country is another day that surprises me and makes me appreciate it even more. It’s been 15 years and now I couldn’t think about not giving this gift to someone else in need. Please be a donor.
Organ Donation: is the process of giving an organ or a part of an organ for the purpose of transplantation into another person. In order for a person to become an organ donor, blood and oxygen must flow through the organs until the time of recovery to ensure viability. (Donate Life)